The History of the Brotherhood or Guild of the Holy Ghost near Basingstoke in Hampshire; dissolved ny King Edward VI, and Re-establish'd by K. Philip and Q. Mary.
Reading.
Printed for the Author, by J. Newbery and C. Micklewright, 1742.
8vo.
[viii], [4], 43pp., [1]. With title in red and black. In original marbled wrappers. Wrappers a bit rubbed, with two small tears, some spotting to one gathering, else fine.
A history of a lay fraternity in Basingstoke, of which only the ruin of the Holy Ghost chapel is extant, by Samuel Loggon (bap. 1712, d. 1789), English clergyman and manuscript collector. The fraternity was established by William Sandys, 1st Baron Sandys, with the support of Bishop Fox, and approved by royal act in 1525. It was dismantled by Edward VI owing to its links to Catholic devotional practices, but re-instated by Queen Mary until its final demise during the Civil War.
Outside of the UK, ESTC locates just two copies (California State, Illinois).
Outside of the UK, ESTC locates just two copies (California State, Illinois).
ESTC T147341.
£ 250.00
Antiquates Ref: 20103
