Antiquates Limited - Logo

[RIVER DEE]. The Shakin' Brig: an appeal.

Aberdeen. William Smith & Sons, The Bon-Accord Press, [s.d., 1920?] First edition.
8vo. [4]pp. Original publisher's printed buff wrappers. A trifle creased.
The second located copy of an anonymous Scots dialect verse lamenting the collapse of a suspension footbridge spanning the River Dee, Aberdeenshire, and pleading for philanthropic intervention for its restoration.

St Devenick's Bridge, colloquially known of the 'Shakkin' Briggie' for its propensity to sway when crossed, was constructed in 1836/37, funded by Church of Scotland clergyman George Morison (1758-1845) for the benefit of his parishioners. The bridge was severely damaged by floodwaters in October 1920. Public funds were raised and repairs carried out resulting in the crossing reopening in September 1922. However, since that time erosion of the banks of the Dee has swept away portions of the structure, and it now stands derelict.

OCLC and COPAC together record a single copy (NLS).
£ 75.00 Antiquates Ref: 31250